What if you could stretch your $5,000 budget into a $10,000 vacation? Imagine how much more you could do and enjoy: a nicer hotel, better food, or maybe you would change your plans all together. It can be done. With some research and planning, taking a nicer vacation than you think you can afford is well within your reach.
Turn your vacation funds into more fun by trying some of these ideas:
- Airline Tickets. You can save a lot of money on airline tickets if you’re flexible with your travel dates. A day or two earlier or later can make a huge difference in the cost. Tuesdays – Thursdays are usually the cheapest days to travel by air.
- Consider alternate airports, too. Sometimes, flying into a different airport can save hundreds of dollars if you have to purchase several airline tickets. Larger cities typically have multiple airports.
- Hotels. If you’re going to a popular destination, you’re likely to find hotels that offer coupons or even free tickets to popular attractions.
- Search online for the lowest price hotel room that meets your needs. Also consider joining a hotel points program.
- You can save a lot of money on food by getting a hotel room with kitchen facilities. Food is usually a major expense when traveling. A kitchenette can save a ton of money, especially if you have kids and are staying for a week or more.
- Consider a cruise. Cruises offer spectacular food and a lot of entertainment for a relatively small amount of money. There’s always the option to sign up for off-ship excursions, which aren’t free, but usually aren’t too expensive either.
- You’ll need to include the cost to get to the ship from your house and back again, but cruises can offer a tremendous value for the money.
- Go in the off-season. Most travel locations have a peak and off-season. This is usually dependent on weather and when travelers are most available to travel there. By going in the off-season, there is much less demand and prices will be lower. This is true for air-travel, car rental, lodging, and most entertainment.
- You also have the benefit of fewer crowds to deal with.
- Group travel. Traveling with a group can really cut down on expenses. Larger groups can get better rates on everything, from transportation to lodging, food, and entertainment.
Adding a few, or all, of these ideas into the planning stages of your next vacation help save you thousands of dollars on your trip. These simple steps can help turn a vacation into a Vacation of a Lifetime.